Pandemonium
Attention!!
Welcome to the Pandemonium Board you need to contribute daily to this board. It IS a requirement to post atleast 3 or 4 posts a month.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pandemonium
Attention!!
Welcome to the Pandemonium Board you need to contribute daily to this board. It IS a requirement to post atleast 3 or 4 posts a month.
Pandemonium
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 35 on Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:39 am

I forgot my password

HDD vs SSD

4 posters

Go down

HDD vs SSD Empty HDD vs SSD

Post by gilgamesh993 Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:19 pm

What are the best selections from both categories - HDD and SSD - should I buy if i want to make a gaming computer?

i've been looking here:

http://www.hardware-revolution.com/best-ssd-hdd-august-2011/

and god damn are ssd's expensive. But i want to know for both, which SSD or hdd would be the best in a realistic sense. like, i dont want to know the most decked out stats when the thing costs over 2k.

maybe someone can also explain whether or not to get something with 1 tb of memory. Because as of now, i don't see a true use for that extra 500 gb.

tee why
gilgamesh993
gilgamesh993
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

HDD vs SSD Empty Re: HDD vs SSD

Post by VenArch Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:15 pm

Welp, you shouldn't be using a SSD as a storage drive.

Honestly, unless you're a power user, you don't even need a SSD at all. The basic functionality is to install either the Operating System(s) or frequently used programs to have the best startup/boot/load times. Using a SSD for general storage is very expensive, and I don't think produces that great of an effect. I doubt you'd need it :U

In today's attitude or whateverthefucki'mtalkingabout, we want to keep as much of the shit from before, now. In essence, a lot of us want large HDD's for the purpose of storing shit from ages ago, or for large amounts of music, movies, like anicow, and programs.

If I had an unlimited budget, I would say the best configuration for storage would be a 30 GB for the OS's, and then a 1+ TB hard drive, or two separate in RAID configs, for everything else.

So TL;DR, don't even think of SSD's unless you have the budget and wait until the Gb/$ rate goes down. Large HDD's are optimal for all the shit that you'll probably keep, unless you don't torrent anything.

If you want a recommended system thing, post your budget and what you normally do on the computer and we can think of some components.

And thanks for posting that website, I've been looking for it for weeks. :I
VenArch
VenArch
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gilgamesh993 Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:31 pm

well i'm asking about ssd because this is all for a class. I need to find one ssd on the market, anywhere, and one hdd on the market, anywhere, that i would buy. doesnt mean that i would, but i need to justify why i would buy it, and frankly, im still not too keen on what's good out there. hence teh topic.

but yeah, we've been talking about how ssd's have a slight advantage over hdds, but they're so expensive. im not getting one anytime soon. dis is just fo kwass.
gilgamesh993
gilgamesh993
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by VenArch Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:38 pm

well you could've said that...sheesh

Go here

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=636&name=Internal-SSD&Order=PRICE

and find the SSD with the best GB/$ ratio, that'd probably be the best SSD at the moment. Also try and get one from reputable companies like Crucial or OCZ or Intel.

For HDDs, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

Cheap, therefore good GB/$ ratio, relatively fast, large, etc.
VenArch
VenArch
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gilgamesh993 Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:07 pm

mk cool, that was the one i was eyeing before.

so... ssd's are generally intended for smaller storage operations. that's in conjunction with a hdd, right? how would you set that up in a computer? and is that what that raid stuff is all about?
gilgamesh993
gilgamesh993
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by VenArch Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:18 pm

RAID is the configuration of the hard drives. There are several types, such as RAID-0, RAID-1, and I think RAID 5 or something, google them up.

Basically, one of them allows you to attach two discreet HDD's together. Not physically, but it allows the specific "drive" when in use to increase its capacity. I think another allows you to mirror what you do on one HDD to the other, or something.

In most modern computers in the BIOS, there is an option to set the boot sequence, which can be toggled between the CD drive, Floppy drive, and HDDs. There is also an option to set which hard drive will be booted from, as only one hard drive can be in the boot sequence. The SSD would be put in the top option, so the computer goes there first out of all of the hard drives in the computer to look for an OS.

It's hard to explain really, this was basically the overview.
VenArch
VenArch
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gilgamesh993 Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:25 pm

hm ok. that gives me a better understanding than what i had before. i pictured them on top of each other doggy style with umbilical cords attaching them to something. :E
gilgamesh993
gilgamesh993
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by VenArch Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:57 pm

Oh dear...
VenArch
VenArch
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VenArch Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:13 pm

How convenient for you...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-upgrade-hdd-performance,3023.html
VenArch
VenArch
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gilgamesh993 Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:53 pm

most of this i kinda knew... what?
gilgamesh993
gilgamesh993
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by acidreamer Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:59 pm

i wouldnt use ssd unless you want to put windows on a seperate drive. just use a hdd. u get more space for way less money. everything in ur pc should be around 50-70 bucks exept for your processor and graphics card tbh. unless you want a super high end rig.

acidreamer
Lurker
Lurker

https://www.youtube.com/acidreamer01

Back to top Go down

Post by VenArch Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:32 pm

Even a moderately priced rig TODAY should have at least a small SSD. The benefit of having an SSD for your OS is monumental, with like a 5-6 time improvement in boot time. That alone should make you want to shell out maybe 50 bucks for a small capacity SSD.

And even so, a higher clocked CPU or factory overclocked graphics card won't give you nearly as much of a boost in performance as an SSD for boot loading. And you can make your CPU or GPU have a higher power by yourself by overclocking, but you can't make a SSD out of a HDD.
VenArch
VenArch
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DaddyAshuu Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:04 am

WOW!! We have some computer experts here!! I'm proud of y'all!!

But yea..SSD is much faster but more expensive and I wouldn't recommend using SSD as a storage drive, but more for booting OS's..Keep your HDD, they're still good technology..
DaddyAshuu
DaddyAshuu
Admin

https://pandemonium.canadaboard.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum